When we first arrived at the mission office
last Monday we had some food, just like muffins, then we hung out and had
interviews with the Mission President. He is super awesome I
like him a lot. He is super nice, funny
and just great all around.
They let us take a nap but I
couldn’t sleep. Then in the evening we went tracting with some other Elders that were
there for transfers. We finished around 7 and came back to the Mission Office.
We ate then we stayed at this really nice house that is for the missionaries.
The house was next to the offices. Tuesday we met our comps and then took a bus
to Nuevo Laredo. The bus ride took about 2 ½ hours. The
roads aren’t that bad they are pretty run down but the drive was okay. The
traffic isn’t as bad here, but there are way less people compared to Mexico
City.
My new companion is
Elder Elizondo. He is from Panama and he barely speaks English. He’s super
funny and nice! He is helping me a lot but it’s so hard because of the language
barrier between us.
Nuevo Laredo is right
on the border. I can see Texas from my house LOL. The weather is kind of hot
and it’s pretty humid. Especially compared to Mexico City!
I haven’t seen anything
super sketchy. The area is honestly not that bad. I mean the houses are just
really bad. It’s a pretty poor area, but the people here do with what they have,
which I think is so awesome. For sure it has humbled me already.
I almost got attacked
by a dog though hahaha we were just walking down the street and there was like
a car shop/yard thing that was just open and this dog came flying out. It almost bit me but it stopped like a foot
away because the guy yelled at it.
We saw a newspaper in
a liquor store that showed someone’s head got cut off... but it’s okay. Other
than that we haven’t heard too much about the drug wars. We are supposed to be
home by like 7:30 because after dark is more dangerous around here. We can be
in by 8:30 if we are driving with a member. We have our whole area and they haven’t
told us anything about not going anywhere.
I am learning that this
area is super good for baptisms. I’m baptizing a little girl this Sunday her
name is Melba. She is 10 and her family are members but less active, they just
came back to church.
My first Sunday at
Church was honestly really bad. I didn’t understand anything and it was super
frustrating. We had to share our
testimonies and that went well. I have one of the guys from my district living
with me too. It’s me and him and our comps.
The ward members are
nice from what I can tell. I can’t really understand what they are saying so that’s
fun. The members that we have gone contacting with are super nice. There are a
couple of kids that come out with us and they are super funny and awesome!
I have already taught
a couple people. The biggest success so far is Melba because we are preparing
her for baptism. I invited her and she said yes! so we are super stoked! We
have taught a couple other people but no other baptisms yet! But we are trying!
I live in a house and
it looks pretty good for what our area looks like. I took a bunch of pictures but don’t have
time to send them. We have to email from a cyber café so my time on the computer
is timed. I will send the pictures next week.
Today for P-Day we
just cleaned the house and did laundry and went shopping for groceries. The store is pretty big and it’s kind of like
Albertsons but a little different. We bought cereal, bananas, apples and
cleaning supplies. We didn’t really get that much food. Pretty much every day we have lunch with the
members, so we just need to make breakfast and dinner.
(I was chatting with Brett over email and asked him if the people took
siestas in the afternoon)
Not right now, they don’t take naps. I think that
starts in the summer when it is really hot!
(I also sent Brett a scripture and a quote from one of our church leaders, Elder
Jeffrey R. Holland. It is below and I
have included a link at the end if you would like to read the whole talk he
gave at BYU several years ago)
Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid” (John 14:27).
I submit to you that (John 14:27) may be
one of the Savior’s commandments that is, even in the hearts of otherwise
faithful Latter-day Saints, almost universally disobeyed; and yet I wonder whether
our resistance to this invitation could be any more grievous to the Lord’s
merciful heart. I can tell you this as a parent: As concerned as I would be if
somewhere in their lives one of my children were seriously troubled or unhappy
or disobedient, nevertheless I would be infinitely more devastated if I felt
that at such a time that child could not trust me to help, or should feel his
or her interest were unimportant to me or unsafe in my care. In that same
spirit, I am convinced that none of us can appreciate how deeply it wounds the
loving heart of the Savior of the world when he finds that his people do not
feel confident in his care or secure in his hands or trust in his commandments.
Just because God is God, just
because Christ is Christ, they cannot do other than care for us and bless us
and help us if we will but come unto them, approaching their throne of grace in
meekness and lowliness of heart. They can’t help but bless us. They have to. It
is their nature.
https://speeches.byu.edu/speak ers/jeffrey-r-holland/ - (You will see
a list of talks by Elder Holland. The title of this one is Come Unto Me.
There are some other good ones on this page as well.)
Brett replied
That scripture really
helped me. I’ve been struggling with the language and it’s made me pretty
frustrated and stressed. I’m pretty homesick right now too, so it helped to
hear that the Lord doesn’t want us to be sad and that He is always there. I already
knew that but it helps to hear it again.
I have a list of some things I need. Can you send me some
mini scriptures? My bag just gets super heavy with all of the books. I also
need my black Dakine backpack, I think it is at Nana’s. We can wear backpacks
here in my mission. Also I need a tie
hanger.
And photos of you
guys!!! like a bunch of physical photos that I can have to hang or something!
I love you and miss
you guys!
Love,
Elder Wilcox
Remember
the best way to communicate with Elder Wilcox is through email at Brett.Wilcox@myldsmail.net He may not always have time to reply, but he
would love to hear from you. You can
also email him pictures. I will be
preparing a box to send to him. If you
want to include something in the box, (at my expense, within reason) let me
know by commenting on this post below. I
believe the next package pick up isn’t until next month so there is time.
No comments:
Post a Comment