Monday, June 26, 2017

A Trip to the Temple - June 7, 2017

Email June 7, 2017
Okay, so this past week (May 29th – June 7th) was pretty cool. We got to change our P-day which made the week feel so long so that kinda sucked lol.  But on the bright side, it’s been like 10,000,000,000 degrees here and it’s been sooo sick! and so sweaty and awesome and fun! That was a little sarcasm in case you couldn’t tell there but it actually has been a good week. We have found a couple new people to teach who are super cool. One of the people is from a part member family, her uncles and aunts and her grandpa are members but her parents aren’t. She is super interested and likes what we have to teach. She also went to church, not this past Sunday but the one before, and we visited after.  She asked about the priesthood, so we taught her about that and she was just really awesome. She had really good questions and it was a really powerful lesson. We felt the Spirit really strong and I feel like we explained everything very well.

 Another cool thing is we went to the temple today (June 7th), it was so beautiful. The layout of the temple is like almost exactly like the Newport Beach temple, which actually kinda made me home sick for a sec, but then I was like nah. 



After that we went to the church for our zone activity. We LARPED (live action role played?) and then we had a water balloon war. It was also a thousand million degrees so it was good to get a little wet. lol I got sunburnt again but that’s my life so it’s cool (uh NO it wasn’t cool, I can’t really show the picture he sent but it was AWFUL). We had divisions this week again. My companion, Elder Elizondo, is a district leader so he goes on splits or divisions with our district and I went with one of the zone leaders because they are in our district. It was cool, their area is so huge. They have bikes but they don’t have gears and it is super hilly here so it was so hard to pedal. The other Elders have some cool people in their ward. Our ward is struggling honestly, they don’t want to work with us and we are working really hard to gain their trust, but it has been hard.   
Still I like this area. I do feel like more like Mexico than Nuevo Laredo, but it’s still really Americanized. I don’t know how to describe it, it just feels like I’m in a weird part of the US most times but there are times where it really feels like Mexico too.

Working with Elder Elizondo again feels like we never really were a part. ha-ha he is cool. Although our Mission Prez told us after this change one of us is for sure leaving, but we don’t know who. Elder Elizondo actually might have to get surgery on his nose.  I don’t think he will go home though.
You asked me where we email from, so we are in an internet café that used to be a home.  It is set up with cement partitions between computers so we have privacy.  ha-ha everything is cement here in Mexico. It’s set up kind of like cubicles. No one can really see unless they look around the sides.


My mission is going really well. It’s hard sometimes but I think I have grown a little. I think the biggest lesson I’ve learned up to this point is that the Gospel is very personal. If we don’t convert ourselves to the Gospel first as missionaries, there is no way we can teach other people to live it. And we need to convert ourselves to the Gospel not the people in the church, because if someone we don’t like does something and we don’t have a testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ then we will just leave the church. That’s something I’ve seen here and I’m sure it’s the same at home. When we have faith in Jesus Christ and we really learn for ourselves what the Atonement means for us, in our own lives, then we literally can do anything. Anything in the world is possible, and that’s not an exaggeration. It will be hard sometimes and it will take some work on our part but through Christ it is possible, anything is possible.  

Love you all,
Elder Wilcox

No comments:

Post a Comment